It is a lack of the ankle stability by abnormal wound healing of the lateral ligament.
It occurs after a single sprain or repeated ones .
- A feeling of insecurity (or fear) to walk, especially in rough ground. Your ankle does not look reliable.
- Repeated mini- sprains with repeated bending.
- Ankle pain during prolonged walking
- RADIOGRAPHS FRONTAL+ PROFIL + FRONTAL IN INTERNAL ROTATION of 20 °.
- DYNAMIC RADIOGRAPHY: A joint opening (or diastasis) forming an angle superior to 10 ° with a difference of more than 2 ° with the opposite side, is considered pathological
- ANKLE ARTHRO-SCANNER: allows a precise assessment of articular cartilage.
- MRI of the ANKLE: sometimes necessary
In case of significant feeling of discomfort, despite rehabilitation,the treatment is surgical. Surgery of ankle instability consists of repairing the ankle lateral ligament or ligamentoplasty.
The movement helped by resin boot is required for 4-6 weeks. After removing the resin , walking is permitted pressing on a removable splint for 4 weeks.
Rehabilitation is started in the 6th week. Sports resumption is started in the 10th to 12th week.